Monday, December 1, 2008

GNR - Chinese Democracy


I didn't buy Guns N' Roses new album Chinese Democracy but with the power of Youtube I was able to listen to the whole album. Let me just say this before I go into the review; I loved Guns N' Roses back in the day. When asked today who is my favorite band they always come up. Back in the day no one was better than Axl and with Slash they were amazing. In the late 90's they were "the band". Then they broke up; Axl went off the deep end; Slash went out on his own; and everyone else disappeared off the face of the earth. Then the rumors of Chinese Democracy came out, 10 years later we have Chinese Democracy.

This album is terrible. The only good song and if that is possible is "Street of Dreams" and the rest is unlistenable (if that is even a word). Axl never really could sing, but the raw voice with the amazing sound of Slash and the rest of the group made it great. Now it's not a good band and an even worse sounding Axl (who thinks he can sing these slow songs). I would not recommend buying it; or even going to Youtube to listen to.

One thing can be said though, nothing will ever compare to the first time I heard "Welcome to the Jungle" on Appetite for Destruction. That album was great; still today I can listen pretty much the whole album. Use Your Illusion I & II are epic in their own time as well. I remember seeing people stand inline fore 24 hours to get those albums. I hope no one stood in line for Chinese Democracy, the album shouldn't even have the name Guns N' Roses on it, it's a shame.

No comments: